Central Michigan University
In the spring of 2017, I started occasionally teaching in the Master of Science in Administration (MSA) program at Central Michigan University. It may seem like a long commute, but my courses are taught at Joint Base Andrews, here in Maryland, through the Central Michigan Global Campus initiative. The MSA program is a degree in management focusing on technical administration, drawing on the course content common in both master of public administration and master of business administration programs. I have taught two different courses for Central Michigan.
- MSA 600 Foundations of Research Methods in Administration This course covers the basic research process starting with the scientific method, lit reviews, data collection, analysis, through to research writing. Through this course, a student is well-prepared to design and complete a research project in a government or business setting.
- MSA 607 Program Management in Complex Organizations This course is a unique course that looks beyond standard project management and looks at the interrelationships of projects inside large and diversified organizations.
- MSA 647 People and Project Administration This course introduces the nontechnical side of project management. It focuses on communication, principally with stakeholders and within the project team. From this course, students should be able to manage project risk better from a personnel standpoint.
The Pennsylvania State University
In the fall of 2018, I was invited to cover a course for the Penn State master of public administration program.
- PADM 503 Research Methods Like MSA 600 at Central Michigan, this course covers the basic research process with a specific application to public management. One interesting feature of this course is an explicit SPSS knowledge requirement.
Other management-related teaching experience can be found under Public Affairs.
- Program Management Course (1/4/2019)
- Teaching Research Methods This Fall (8/27/2018)
- Teaching Project Management This Fall (7/10/2018)
- Syllabus for People and Project Administration (10/25/2017)
- Gelman’s Candy Weighing Demonstration (3/12/2017)
- Syllabus for Foundations of Research Methods (12/3/2016)
- What Goes Around Comes Around, Teaching Edition (11/28/2016)
Image by: jinkazamah / Flickr.