This program and an accompanying article were written in response to a problem I had in 1999 with Netscape Enterprise Server. After taking over administration of a Windows NT-based Netscape server, I discovered I did not know the administrator password for NES. I hunted down the password file and saw it hashed passwords using the same format at the password file for Unix-like systems.
So I needed a hashed value for a known password to drop into NES’s password database and used this program to create that value. It’s seen no substantive changes since the original publication eleven years ago.
Nota bene: This is a Mercurial repository stored on Bitbucket, not Git/GitHub like I’ve made available the past few weeks. I chose Mercurial for this project so I could get a better feeling for it vis-à-vis Git.